As China plays an increasingly important role on the global stage, we believe that we are failing our students if we do not give them the opportunity to learn Mandarin Chinese. The Manchester Swire Chinese Language Centre is based at Manchester Grammar School where we have a decade’s experience of teaching Chinese. In this Swire funded project, we are working in partnership with Manchester Metropolitan University to secure a major expansion of the teaching and learning of Chinese throughout schools in Manchester and beyond. Partner schools can apply for initial support towards a fully funded Chinese teacher. It is envisaged that the project will act as a catalyst to enable the teaching of Chinese to become self-sustaining in due course.
What we offer our partner schools?
- Deliver taster lessons
- Help recruit high quality teachers of Chinese
- Support the planning of lessons and creation of teaching resources
- Monitor and evaluate the work of Chinese departments
- Provide coaching and mentoring for Chinese teachers
- Coordinate the sharing of good practice in Chinese teaching
- Plan educational visits to China